Credits, Bibliography & Film Links
- Leavell, Byrd Stuart. The 8th Evac: A History of the University of Virginia Hospital Unit in World War II. Richmond: Dietz, 1970.
- This book is the source of most of the information for the exhibit. Dr. Leavell graduated from the University of Virginia School of Medicine in 1935 and became a member of the Faculty of Medicine in 1939. He attained the rank of major in the war and was awarded the bronze star medal. According to the forward in his book, he was asked during the war to write about the University of Virginia-affiliated unit. Thankfully he did so, as his book gives an extensive history of the 8th Evac.
- Allen, Max S., ed. Medicine under Canvas: A War Journal of the 77th Evacuation Hospital. Kansas City: Sosland, 1949.
- Base Hospital 41 Collection. Historical Collections and Services, The Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, University of Virginia, Charlottesville.
- Cabell, Julian M. A Brief Sketch of Base Hospital No. 41. [Washington, D.C.: s.n., 1925].
- 8th Evac Collection. Historical Collections and Services, The Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, University of Virginia, Charlottesville. Unless otherwise noted all photographs are from this Collection. Special thanks to Melvin Shaffer for contributing his image of “The 8th Evacuation Hospital in Pietramala during the 1944-45 Winter.”
- Morton, C. Bruce. History of the Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, 1824-1971. Charlottesville: Division of Medical Art and Photography, University of Virginia Medical Center [1974?].
- Shear, Deming J. “Historical Sketch of Base Hospital #41: A University of Virginia W.W.I Unit, n.d.”TMs [photocopy]. Historical Collections and Services, The Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, University of Virginia, Charlottesville.
- Smith, Clarence McKittrick. The Medical Department: Hospitalization and Evacuation, Zone of Interior. Washington: Office of the Chief of Military History, Department of the Army, 1956.
- UVa Goes to War [sound recording]: the Story of the 8th Evacuation Hospital in World War II. Charlottesville: University of Virginia, 1989. Audiocassette.
- This special program highlights the recollections of three 8th Evac alumni. Elizabeth Drash, John L. Guerrant, and W. Norman Thornton share their wartime experiences as they recall the hardships, rewards, and camaraderie of their service in North Africa and Italy. John F. Harlan, himself a WWII veteran and former UVa Hospital Director, acts as moderator. Held November 16, 1989, the program was part of the History of the Health Sciences Lecture Series sponsored by Historical Collections & Services of the UVa Health Sciences Library.
Links to Films:
Presenting Miss Carol Bruce, a song just for the men at the 8th Evac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXmWUeq4b2o.
The Evacuation Hospital (1945), War Department Film Bulletin F.B. No. 173 produced by Army Pictorial Service Signal Corps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf7deh0H0GM. (This film is about WWII evacuation hospitals in general.)
Casablanca 1943, U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center Film Archive, the Col. George B. Jarrett Collection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f05v4EQ2ulU. (This film reportedly includes footage of the 8th Evac.)
This exhibit was created by Janet Pearson with the assistance of Joby Topper. Special thanks to Dr. John L. Guerrant, Dorothy Sandridge Gloor, and Elizabeth Harlin Drash for sharing their stories and helping us identify photographs. Except where marked otherwise, all text and images in this exhibit are the property of Historical Collections & Services of the Health Sciences Library, University of Virginia. For permission to reproduce any of the text or images or to make comments or suggestions, please contact a member of Historical Collections.